Faculty Professional Development Assignments allow faculty time to advance work on research and scholarship that is difficult or impossible to perform in conjunction with one’s on-campus responsibilities. FPDAs provide faculty with a release from teaching and service responsibilities, however the responsibility to continue mentoring current graduate students and post-doctoral research associates remains. Professional development assignments may also entail international travel and/or familiarization with new or specialized training in or related to the faculty member’s discipline. FPDAs are expected to result in publications, grants, scholarly innovation and enhanced learning opportunities for students.
FPDA applications will be reviewed at the college level before being forwarded to the Senior Vice President and Provost. Interested faculty should prepare the FPDA application, a 5-8 page CV, as well as a completed Replacement Cost worksheet. Applications must be ranked by the department before submission to the college, so departments may have an earlier deadline.
- Eligibility: All faculty employed at least half-time.
- Salary: A maximum of six months’ salary through ISU payroll, regardless of funding source. A faculty member on assignment for six months or less will continue in full paid status; a faculty member on an assignment of more than six months will receive six months’ salary with the salary prorated across the total period of the assignment.
- LAS Due Date: September 15, 2019 (including departmental rankings)
- Submission: Proposals, 5-8 page CV and Replacement Cost Template should be submitted electronically to Julie Palmer.
- Full Program Details and Application Materials Information